Saturday, April 6, 2013

Blogs that got me thinking


Diana from Suburban Girl Studios recently posted on Art Jewelry Elements about show prep, and I could relate because that is what I am up to as well. In fact I will be participating in 10 shows this year, so I will be in show prep mode all year. Diana talked about how much to make, and like her, I just keep making things until I run out of time. 

This is my third year attending bead shows so I have had enough time to see some purchasing patterns. Snow was still on the ground last month but my customers were buying beach themed items like the ones below. So I have shifted gears to summer colors and and summer themes, and the photo below shows what I have been working on this week.



Jenny Davies-Reazor's posted on Art Jewelry Elements as well about her creative process, it is a series of posts that I found very interesting. It is hard to believe the amount of steps that go into making a ceramic component. 

 I thought that I would share a little about how I started making enameled components.

 As some of you already know, I enamel all my components in the same torch that I use to melt my glass.

I can't remember how, but I stumbled on Barbara Lewis's site about four years ago. I know she was writing a book about enameling but it was not available yet. Torch firing enamel has been around forever, but this was different she was using a stationary torch and something called "a bead pulling station." This peaked my interest because I already had the torch.

So I purchased this "bead pulling station" which Barbara created, I could not make my enamel pieces successfully without this tool.  

I soon received a convo from Barbara that she wanted to trade for some beads. Of course this was the best trade ever, because I have enjoyed making enamel components ever since. 












1 comments:

Maplegirl said...

I love to hear your thoughts on your art, as well as how you came to do enameling. Plus your picture of your gorgeous pieces, beauty on this rainy day. Thank you. Andrea